Four forms of creative writing are eligible, including creative nonfiction, playwriting/screenwriting, poetry and short story. Applicants may submit a portfolio in only one category per application. You can apply online below or you can download the application and send in via USPS.
- Content must be appropriate for general audiences. Submissions with profanity may be disqualified if deemed in poor taste.
- Content must be original and current (less than one year old).
- Applicants may submit a portfolio in only one category.
- Applicants may apply more than once in another category or discipline.
- There are specific portfolio requirements for each form of creative writing below. Failure to follow the instructions below could result in disqualification.
Creative Nonfiction: Up to 16 pages (total)
Provide up to three creative nonfiction prose pieces, including memoirs, literary journalism and personal essays. Submissions that resemble term papers, book reports or specific class assignments will not be considered.
Playwriting/Screenwriting: Up to 16 pages (total)
Provide up to three scripts for dramatic performance in any medium, including excerpts of scripts that include a brief description of the complete work and how the excerpt fits into the whole piece.
Short Story: Up to 16 pages (total)
Provide up to three short stories.
Poetry: Up to 10 pages (total)
Provide up to six poems.
Format for all creative writing portfolios:
Typed single-spaced in standard font, such as Times New Roman, 12 point font.